Thursday, December 6, 2012

Lifestyle Change

 


WOW.  Thanksgiving/November really took a lot out of us and was very busy.  My parents came in from Colorado for Thanksgiving.  We completely changed our eating habits and Deddy turned one yesterday.  B.U.S.Y.

Anyway, change of eating habits.  I am really not quite sure how to define ourselves now.  We aren't vegetarian, aren't quite vegan but have cut out all animal meat, dairy and dairy byproducts and eggs.  Let me first begin by stating why we have changed our eating habits. 

I have known for a couple of years that our eating habits needed to change.  We really didn't eat too much meat.  Just about the only time we had any type of red meat was either when someone else made it for us or if we were out to dinner (which is a rarity!).  Mainly we ate turkey and had a lot of vegetarian dishes for dinner. We followed Dr. Christopher's mucusless diet for a few months before I became pregnant with Deddy and I just needed to eat anything that I didn't make.  My cooking went and so did the diet.

A couple of months ago we watched some animal slaughterhouse videos on YouTube.  I would recommend not watching any of these if you want to continue eating your McDonald's double cheeseburger without any guilt (if I had written this post 2 months ago my mouth would have been watering because I was missing these so much. Gross, but oh.so.good.). 

After we cut out all fast food, next up was meat altogether.  Heavenly Father tends to lead J and I in a direction pretty swiftly so this happened within a couple of weeks.  I/We (and by that I mean I and then I tell J so it becomes we) were studying in Doctrine and Covenants section 89 and re-reading the section about eating meat. 
12 Yea, flesh of the beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
 
To be completely honest, we thought we were using meat sparingly.  I think most people in the church think that even if they eat it with three meals.  No, we did not eat meat with every meal, but several times a week.  And can I say that it was with thanksgiving?  No.
 
So let's jump to Genesis chapter 9.  The Lord is speaking to Noah.  I believe this fits quite nicely with the D&C reference above.  I'm using the Joseph Smith translation.  I love when I am confused by something in the Bible.  Usually there is a JS translation that takes away all confusion (For those who don't know, the Bible has been translated several times and some of the meaning and different scriptures have been changed.  When Joseph Smith restored Christ's church he was also commanded by Heavenly Father to go through the Bible and translate certain scriptures to their original wording.  We use the King James Version and believe it to be the most correct translation.).  Joseph Smith's changes are italicized.
 
10 But, the blood of all flesh which I have given you for meat, shall be shed upon the ground, which taketh life thereof, and the blood ye shall not eat.
11 And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands.
 
We read that and thought well that makes sparingly seem even more..well...sparingly.  If I am to only eat meat to save my life, and in the D&C scripture quoted above only in times of winter, cold or famine (which in most parts of the world would result in saving lives) then why were we eating it a few times a week?  If the Lord has said that we would be held accountable to all the animals we eat, then would eating meat be necessary for survival? 
 
Photo Credit
 
The next morning J told me he couldn't sleep the night before thinking about all of the animals lined up in heaven.  Animals that he had eaten or taken bits and pieces out of.  Not a pretty picture, but we decided we didn't want to answer for any more unless it was so save ourselves.  Now, let me clarify.  We did have Thanksgiving.  There was a turkey for my parents.  We have been trying to find the fine line between not eating meat and also not wasting it if it is there anyway.  What to do?  We did take a few bites of the turkey so it wouldn't be wasted (after a few days of it being in the fridge) and there were some organic bacon pieces in the green beans that may have made it to my mouth. 
 
We have also watched a couple documentaries.  The first being Forks Over Knives.  We were convinced of the ill effects of dairy after watching that movie.  J asked when we would be cutting it out and we did that day. 
 
The reason I say we aren't fully vegan is because when we are out to dinner, we will probably have some cheese or cream or something of the sort in the food we eat.  Both of us do not feel like eating any kind of meat.  If we are invited to dinner (again, a rarity) and meat is served we will not scoff but instead be thankful that someone was willing to provide a meal for us.  So I can't say we are fully vegan.  I don't want any meat wasted.  I don't want any life to be wasted.  But I also don't want to be responsible for those animals lives.  Where is the line drawn???
 
J has lost 13lbs in 3 weeks, I've lost 2 (I don't really have any to lose so 2 makes a difference. haha).  We both have more energy, and have found some AMAZING food to eat.  I'm actually eating vegetables and liking them and we both feel very good.  Another up side, I really do feel like we were prompted to change our eating habits.  And by following that prompting I do feel like I gained more of a testimony for revelation and also that Heavenly Father is watching out for our family and what our health needs are.  I know everyone is entitled to their own revelation so this is what we have personally interpreted the scriptures to mean for our family!  Everyone has the right to interpret it differently and to make their own choices!  Oh, wonderful AGENCY!
 
(Oh yeah, and my milk supply has never been better!!)
 
Let's end with the promises of following the Word of Wisdom fully (Doctrine and Covenants 89):
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment