Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chicken Stock!




I have wanted to make chicken stock (J says that no one calls it that-so I should say chicken broth) for a very long time.  I have been waiting until we can afford to get an organic chicken.  Well, that day isn't happening soon.  In the meantime, Fred Meyer sells roasted chickens, no MSG, etc.  I bought one, took as much of the meat off as I could, put it in a crock pot.  Poured filtered water over it and added some celery, green onions, carrots, basil, oregano and some dried onions!   Yes, dried onions.  I didn't even have an onion to throw in--other than the one I was using for the meal that night.  Anyway, let that sit overnight on low in a crock pot.  Supposedly you can let it sit for up to a week.  I dislike many things on my counter almost as much a J, so 24 hours was enough for us.  I let it cool, put it in left over canning jars from my freezer jam experiment (which went perfectly and tastes amazing), and froze them.  I have heard you can freeze the stock in ice cube trays and then in ziploc bags.  But, any time I can use glass or metal instead of plastic, I do.  I ended up draining it twice-I didn't think of lining my steamer bowl (not strainer!-haha) with cheese cloth until after the first pour.

Also, a quick search online and it seems I did make broth...bone broth.  Check out the differences here.

No comments:

Post a Comment